Canvas Integrations (LTI)
Learning Tools Interoperability is an education technology specification developed by the 1EdTech Consortium (formerly known as IMS Global). It specifies a method for learning management systems to communicate with external systems. These tools are essentially “plugins” that provide extended functionality within Canvas.
Because student data may be sent and received through LTIs, requests for LTIs must be reviewed and approved.
The approval process for each tool will include reviews for Functionality, Accessibility, Security, FERPA, Legal, Cost, as well as other factors.
LTIs and publisher tools cannot be added to Canvas until after the review is complete and approved. There is no guarantee an LTI and/or a Publisher Tool will be available for a specific quarter.
- On average, a review will take 6 to 12 months.
- LTIs that duplicate current services will likely not be approved.
- Once a tool is approved, the requester will be notified.
- If a tool is not approved, the requester will be notified of the reasons, and alternate options will be suggested (if applicable).
- If the desired LTI is not already on the List of LTI Tools, please utilize the LTI Service Request form to submit a formal request.
If you have any questions about how to use these LTIs, please contact UCR’s XCITE Center for Teaching and Learning via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For technical assistance, please contact UCR ITS at https://ithelp.ucr.edu.