What do I need to know about switching to Canvas?
- You can access this and your course shells by logging into elearn.ucr.edu. Each faculty member has a sandboxes for instructors to familiarize themselves with Canvas. A sandbox is a "pretend course" for you to experiment with all of Canvas' features.
- To move content from iLearn to Blackboard, see the Knowledge Base article Importing Content from Blackboard to Canvas.
- As of Summer 2021, the system will create all courses in both iLearn and Canvas. You will need to communicate with your students which learning management system (LMS) you will use. XCITE encourages instructors to create Announcements in iLearn so that students know their course will be delivered in Canvas.
- Course availability dates
- It is strongly encouraged that you start to migrate your courses from iLearn/Blackboard into eLearn/Canvas, but if you continue to teach in iLearn, just leave your Canvas course(s) unpublished and your students will not see your course(s) listed in Canvas.
- If instructors would like their TA to participate in the primary (unit-bearing) section of a course, the TA needs to be added in Banner SSASECT to that primary section’s CRN with 0% responsibility. If any of your primary activity sections need a TA added, please contact your department's scheduler with the TA’s name, and they will make this update.
- In Banner, all course faculty assignments are automatically fed to Canvas with the role of Teacher, including TAs. If instructors want to change the Teacher role to a TA role, this must be done manually in Canvas. Instructions to make this change.
Here is a link to the recording from the Canvas Orientation Session from Wednesday, June 2nd.
- Getting Started with Canvas as an Instructor
- Canvas Video Guides
- Canvas Instructor Guides (HTML)
- YouTube Tutorials by Liz Davis and Annie Ditta (PSYC)
- Boilerplate Copy for iLearn Redirect to eLearn
- XCITE Template Course in Google Drive (Zipped File)
- How do to export Grades from Canvas to iGrade
Some additional helpful resources are included below:
- Video Walkthrough of How iGrade Accommodates Students' NetIDs for Canvas Export
- How do I change the Course Home Page?
- How do I weight the final course grade based on assignment groups?
Canvas Support is available 24/7 to answer any questions. Contact Canvas Support by phone at 877-469-7640.
Canvas Chat Support is also available from within the Canvas Global Navigation Menu, or you can contact Canvas Support using the email address: email@example.com.